Monday, April 23, 2012

Blast from the Past!: B/S Camping 2009


PsiEK’s Spring Break Trip to Joshua Tree
Had someone asked me a year ago what I’d be doing over my Spring Break, camping in the desert would have never even entered my mind. I’ve never really been the outdoorsy type, but I had always imagined what fun it would be to go camping. So when the opportunity presented itself in the form of a joint PsiEK Spring Break trip to Joshua Tree, I knew immediately that I wanted to be a part of it. Clear skies, campfires, and what better way to get better connected with my new brothers and sisters?
Upon arriving at our campsite, it was great to see some familiar faces, including my Big Sis, Erin Cubbon, who helped coordinate the entire trip as the Director of Brotherhood/Sisterhood Relations for EK. We spent our first day pitching tents, climbing the rocks at our campsite, and eating a dinner of spaghetti, dinner rolls, and salad. Mission Tortilla chips abounded! It was a truly glorious meal, and honestly one of the most filling dinners I had eaten all year. After dinner, we gathered around the campfire for some singing and bonding games (“Friends are nothing ‘til they sleep together…”—“Ooh, ain’t that funky now!”) It was a fun-filled evening in the crisp, cold desert air, amongst friends who brought warmth to our hearts like the dancing flames before us.

      The next day, we all woke up bright and early to a delicious pancake breakfast, completely with cereal, juice, milk, and fruit. It was like having a continental breakfast at a hotel. SO GOOD! After eating, a majority of the brothers and sisters decided to go rock climbing. I was ready for some adventure, but had no idea of what I was getting myself into. Without a doubt, this was the most incredible part of the entire trip for me. The natural beauty around us, the strength we found within ourselves, the trust we put in the hands of our brothers and sisters and the love and help they offered in return—the feeling climbing those rocks was an amalgamation of multiple emotions that are just too powerful to put down on paper. Being the Disney fan that I am, I can only compare it to the moment Simba walks up pride rock and lets out that tremendous roar that always sends chills throughout my entire body. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure I heard some a cappella “King of Pride Rock” at the peak of the climb, courtesy of Anthony Barbir and Vanessa Houseman. Pretty sure? Actually, I’m certain I have a video of it… J
Once we returned back to camp, I had pretty much the greatest lunch of my entire life. No joke. After hours of climbing rocks, stories high, with the hot desert sun beating down on your body, any meal is like a four-star gourmet masterpiece. PB & J, tortilla chips, and Famous Amos cookies were lunchbox fare no more. When everyone had finished eating, our wonderful DOSA, Danäe Paterson, commenced some wonderful games and activities to bring the brothers and sisters together. Later, we built another campfire, roasted marshmallows, made some delectable s’mores, sang songs, and enjoyed one last bonding activity wherein everyone learned how much of an impact they had on each other through simple anonymous taps on the shoulders.
With that, our last night at Joshua Tree was complete. After watching the sunrise the next morning, we packed up, cleaned our campsite, and headed back for one last return to UCLA before going our separate ways and continuing on our individual Spring Break adventures. A lifetime’s worth of fun in three days, and yet break had barely just begun! This was a truly unforgettable experience and I will cherish the memories forever.



-Marlee Newman, Alpha Nu