Monday, April 23, 2012

B/S Camping 2012!



         Had someone asked me four years ago what I’d be doing over my Spring Break, organizing a camping trip for twenty-six of my dearest friends would have never even entered my mind. In fact, I had never been camping until three years ago, when I went on my first ever camping trip—an outdoor adventure at Joshua Tree that I always describe as being one of my favorite memories of my college, TBS, and PsiEK experience. It was the event that fully emerged me into the joint Bond between Epsilon Kappa and Psi; it single-handedly set the tone for the rest of my active membership. I remember looking at Erin Cubbon, by Big Sis and current Director of Brotherhood/Sisterhood Relations for EK at the time, and being so proud to be her Little. I couldn’t even imagine trying to put on this event myself. And then there I was, three years later, snuggly nestled in her shoes.
            I have been truly blessed. Of the myriad events the DOBSRs put on, this always seemed the most daunting to me, not only because I have very little camping experience, but also because of the tremendous amount of logistics involved. Suddenly, there was this huge responsibility on my shoulders: I had to make sure we had a place to stay, that all food and supplies were accounted for, and that rides were organized, with the added bonus of having to reassure any wary parents that their son or daughter was not going to fall off the side of a mountain. But, as I said, I have been truly blessed. None of this could have happened without the hard work of my DOBSR counterpart and Little Bro, Kelsey Chesnut. It has been an incredible year getting to work with her, and I could not imagine a better counterpart for this office. She made planning this event as stress free as possible. We both pride ourselves on our “chillaxed” mentality and approach, and we have proven to each other, time and time again, that everything will work out. Although Kelsey has always been an amazing counterpart, she blew me away in the way she took initiative when I became overwhelmed with academia. This was definitely a whole new learning and growing experience for the both of us.
            There is a major trade-off when it comes to organizing B/S Camping: to manage the event effectively, you are forced to miss out on some of the activities; however, the greater effort you put into ensuring the success of the event directly correlates to amount of fun you will have and the incredible memories you will make. So despite the fact that we had to bear 40mph winds that broke three of our tents and rains that kept us in tents for much of the first evening, we were able to bond over PB&J assembly lines and delivery services as we crammed into the remaining tents. Nothing could bring these Bruins down, and to sit around a roaring campfire, eating s’mores in a desert perfumed by fresh rainfall… It was all I could ever ask for. The stars put on a show for us that night.
            The following day I can hardly put into words .We began with a breakfast buffet of bagels, cereal, muffins, fruit, milk, juice and an array of Nutrigrain bars for the hikes. Half of us split off to hike until sunset, while the rest of us went for a morning hike and came back for lunch and activities. This was the part of the trip I had been eagerly awaiting, because this hike was the event that cemented my love and appreciation for my Brothers and Sisters. Helping one another climb mountains, overcome obstacles, strive for the highest—this is the epitome of both of our organizations. I often found myself in a parallel state of conscious activity and complete reverie, lost in a world of déjà vu, remembering the moment when my Big Brother, Eric Kveton, reached out for my hand and pulled me onto the next plateau. This time I had the support of Chris Carandang, Brad Scott, Amanda Young, and countless other Brothers who were always there with a helping hand. Out of the events of the entire trip, however, nothing made me more proud than to watch Briana Popeney go through the same transformation I went through three years ago, from timid rock climber to fearless mountain explorer. My next favorite B/S Moment of the trip had to have been the impromptu cabbage adventures. Kelsey and I had accidentally left three heads of cabbage in the refrigerator crisper back in Westwood, and we needed them in order to make dinner properly. Thus, Kelsey, Robyn Monroe, Alanah Nowotarski, and I set off to find cabbage in the desert. Ask me and I’ll tell you the rest of that story. ;)
            PsiEK B/S Camping this year was one of the most rewarding experiences of my time as a Sister. Once again, it brought me closer to my Brothers, but this trip was different. I truly felt myself come into my own. I was finally the type of Sister I had always looked up to and aspired to be. The love and support of my Brothers and Sisters has carried me through my entire UCLA career and it will continue to propel me forward as I take on the new responsibilities of district office. I can honestly say that without B/S Camping, I would not be where I am today. Thank you to everyone, past and present, who made this all possible.

MLITB!
Marlee Newman, Alpha Nu
Director of Brotherhood/Sisterhood Relations, 2011-2012
Western District Vice President of Special Projects, 2012-2013