Saturday, May 7, 2011

Monster Ball



It doesn't matter if you're a tuba or a capital S-A-X, at Band Ball, all are welcome. On April 3, 2011 band members of all persuasions came together at Kerkhoff Grand Salon for a night of music, dance, and celebration of the princess, hero, cartoon, and Little Monster within us all.

About a month before the event, I received a call from the Epsilon Kappa chapter of Tau Beta Sigma's Director of Social Activities, Allison Gill. She told me of this annual Band Ball event and asked if I, Mother Monster, would bestow the honor of my presence at this occasion. She told me how the event is held every year to bring together members of the UCLA Marching Band after football season, and how the band performed a field show based on my hit single "Bad Romance" this past fall. Needless to say, I was honored. Then, when Allison told me that her organization's mission was to serve and honor women in music, I was sold. I checked my touring schedule, canceled my concert in Adelaide, Australia (sorry, Little Monsters), and jetted to Los Angeles to turn this Band Ball into Monster Ball.

I pulled one of my tour costumes off the rack, the Thierry Mugler blue prismatic. Only the best for my Bruin Monsters. Plus, I heard the UCLA marching band has a thing for true blue. Disco stick in hand and donning the newest headgear from the Haus of Gaga, I was ready to dance in the dark.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by Allison and the Social Chair of the Psi Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi, Katrina Madlansacay. Of course, the paparazzi was there to greet me as well. I indulged their shutter-happy wishes with my typical display of congenial apathy, chest out, paws up. Afterward, I patrolled the salon. It was nicely decorated to suit the theme, Lady and the Knight. There were posters of armor-clad medieval heroes slaying dragons and saving fair maidens; there was a cut out of Lady and the Tramp on the second floor; and at one point I turned around to find a 4'x3' 12-piece acrylic panel painting depicting my disembodied head wearing a shako. It was brilliant. I had never seen such artistry in my entire life. I asked Allison who the artist was and attempted to find her so I could invite her to join the Haus of Gaga. Unfortunately, the artist had only donated the piece for the event and could not attend. She was stuck in Adelaide, Australia.

Finally it was time to let the music take control.

Mother Monster took over the floor and commanded her vicious little ones to dance. Like my prized orbital Alexander McQueen, the world revolved around me, as I performed "Bad Romance" and "Telephone" to a sea of mesmerized gazes. I was even able to phone in a favor from Beyonce and got her to make a surprise guest appearance.

Meanwhile, in an adjacent room, a photo studio was set up to take souvenir photos as a fundraiser. It was a genius enterprise and with the option of a green screen, Little Monsters were able to choose their backdrop. I took photos with some of the band members, even became an honorary member of the UCLA trumpet section. I heard they made $100 off those photos. That's money, honey.

It was a killer night, and I had a great time getting to know these little Bruin monsters. I would say that I'll always remember the night and keep a piece of UCLA in my heart....  

... but I left my head and my heart on the dance floor.

MGITB, 

xo LG