Saturday, May 7, 2011

What an Amazing Race




I was running on 3 hours of sleep and 3 cups of coffee. After a 9-6 work day and traffic on the way home, I was not too hyped for the B/S Amazing Race. But once I got there I was pumped. I was on a team with my buddy, Joe Alonso, so I knew it was going to be fun. But I also realized that he was going to want to win…which meant running. Once the countdown happened, he ran up, grabbed the clue, and we started running.

Clue by clue we made it to the top of Bruinwalk with the concern of finding parking structure 4 in search of a car. Once we got there, we scavenged for the car marked with ‘PsiEK’ on the back window. Another team chose to look for the same thing, but after 20 minutes or so, neither us nor the other team could find it. After reviewing the clue we realized we were in the wrong section! We ran to the right area and I hurried down to the lowest level. There, in front of me, amidst the empty level, was the car. I jotted down the space number because the clue giver was nowhere in sight.

Joe and I ran off to meet with her and then to the next challenge: writing the PsiEK officer board down in less than a minute. I whipped that one out and we ran over to Janss steps to write down the B/S Song! I was trying to sing it out in my head but got stuck at one line. When we wrote it down, I still couldn’t get it, but after thinking about it for another minute or two we got it! Excitedly, we stood up to have our work checked and then ran up to earn 2nd place!!!

This event has easily become my favorite B/S event—it was so much fun, especially because it was filmed like an actual episode. I can’t wait to see the show and participate in next year’s Amazing Race!

- Sarah Cox, Alpha Xi
Treasurer, 2010-2011